[Mediawiki-l] Re: what-you-see-is-what-you-get edit program?

Ira Abramov lists-MediaWiki-l at ira.abramov.org
Wed Mar 16 05:41:04 UTC 2005

Quoting Jan Steinman, from the post of Mon, 14 Mar:

> The only exception I can bring to mind is if unsophisticated users are
> interested in correcting typos in heavily-marked-up text. And if that's
> the case, nothing short of a full WYSIWYG authoring environment is

well, if you have a full-blown wysiwyg, may as well do the spellchecker
as well. I've seen spellcheckers on a wiki, wasn't it twiki or
something?

> going to do the job. (Those who are seeking "full WYSIWYG", take a look
> at GoLive or Dreamweaver. Do you really want to turn THAT loose on your
> unsophisticated users?)

not GL or DW, but a simplified WYSIWYG editor like the one in Netscape
(and maybe still in Mozilla Seamonkey may it RIP)

> :::: Sell your cleverness, and purchase bewilderment -- Rumi

Wish I could...

as a final note, there is Diderot that was advertised here a while back,
though it's windows only and at pre-alpha stage:
http://wikiwriter.sourceforge.net/

Gotta love the "catch". if you want an easy UI, you'll have a
complicated installation, however if you stick to your sumple browser
you'll have the learning curve of the Wiki ML.

the solution, of course, is a XUL application for Mozillas. cross
platform and built into the browser. I hope this is where this is going:
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=351

links naturally came from here and other places:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG_editor

--
Nominated for a butt load of awards
Ira Abramov