[Mediawiki-l] get wiki text

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Mar 14 15:45:21 UTC 2005

Rowan Collins wrote:
> I think you're muddling lists again! There's no link to "other
> formats" in MediaWiki, and the URL Moritz is looking for is
> ...&action=raw. Note that this sense a content-type of "text/x-wiki",
> mainly so that browsers will treat it as unknown format and suggest
> downloading.

Actually, it's specifically a protection against content-type sniffing
in broken browsers like Internet Explorer and Safari. I'd prefer to
serve the material as text/plain so it could display inline in the
browser, but these browsers would then detect the presence of HTML tags,
opening up cross-site scripting attacks and other fun security problems.

Anyway, in addition to action=raw we have Special:Export, which can be
used to bundle up one or more pages at once in a simple XML wrapper
format which contains some metadata (timestamp, username of last editor,
the summary comment, if it was a minor edit, etc).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)