[Mediawiki-l] Trying to remove hostname from URLs

George Stevens gstevens at guidelightsolutions.com
Sun Mar 13 18:52:15 UTC 2005

{Newbie to the list, so please forgive if this has been answered many
times before.  We have been unable to track down a solution.}

We installed mediawiki several months ago and it's become a tool we use
every day.  We have encountered a challenge with links that would seem
common enough to have already been solved by someone but we cannot find
a solution anywhere.  Specifically, our installation is on our intranet
and we have added links to other internal web applications that we use
daily.  These links are of the form

http://host.domain.local/path/to/app

We would like to add access to our installation of mediawiki from the
Internet, just like we already have for our other web applications.  All
of the links on pages when viewed from the Internet are of the form:

            https://host.domain.com/path/to/app

We have looked at using rewrite rules and other methods, but they all
seem to be a sledgehammer solution.  What we would prefer is something
simple like:

            [/path/to/app | Application Name]

This would seem the obvious solution (at least to us), but unfortunately
it does not work.  We have also tried to force an anchor into the page
like this:

But the page parser strips it out.

Finally, we have looked at the interwiki linking mechanism, but it
appears to be a one-way mapping of a name to a specific site, which
would not work for what we are trying to accomplish.

If we have overlooked the obvious or if anyone has solved this dilemma,
we would appreciate some pointers.

Many thanks,

George