[Mediawiki-l] Wiki Content Copyright

Jason Walker jnw.walker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:12:48 UTC 2005

> Quite how the law systems of the world view this latter kind of
> "contract", I'm not sure, but an awful lot of people rely on it - I
> have a feeling it rather depends on the details because people have
> suggested that the "EULAs" you "agree to" when installing software
> might not always be enforceable. But it hinges on the fact that nobody
> has the *right* to contribute to your wiki; they do so on your terms,
> or they don't do so at all.

IANL, but I have read something about copyright laws doing research
for my own site.  Contracts can be entered into by more means than
signing a paper.  Oral agreements can be a legal agreement (based on
certain rule).  Accepting an agreement by pressing an 'ok' button on a
website can definitely be a legal agreement (otherwise banking on the
internet would not work).  I even had a website call me with an
automated message that recorded my voice saying, "I accept."  If you
make it a clear and easily identifiable message that submitting
information to your website is bound to some terms, than that is an
agreement and can be upheld in a court of law (so long as the terms
themselves are not illegal, ie: a contract to kill is not a legal
agreement).

--
~Jason Walker
Take back the web - Get Firefox!