[Mediawiki-l] external authentication service = single sign on site wide

Gavin Bell me at gavinbell.com
Tue Mar 8 15:50:46 UTC 2005

Hi all
I'm building a site in mediawiki and I'm interested in getting a single
signon service running across the entire site.  I'm using MovableType
and PunBB as components on the rest of the site.  so I am interested in
either using Six Apart's typekey as a remote auth service or the
typekey-a-like TinyOrwell.

Essentially replacing the authentication services within mediawiki with
an external service  I've seen a variety of articles that head in the
right direction, but not yet cracked it. I can't use LDAP as the users
will be on the wider internet, hence looking at other tools.

Some background
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Authentication is the basic article on
how server side authentication works and can be modified on mediawiki,
it links to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Web_Server_authentication
which links to the following implementation
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/
13943/ showing how to do a simple remote server auth over http
there are a couple of typekey resources,
http://del.icio.us/tag/typekey and
http://typekey.torrez.org/guide/show/HomePage

Here are some implementations
http://pear.php.net/pepr/pepr-proposal-show.php?id=164 is an
Auth_TypeKey package for PEAR for PHP
http://www.neilturner.me.uk/resources/phptypekey.html -- typekey in PHP
for MT
http://uva.jp/dh/mt/archives/004510.html - japanese php typekey module
http://www.movabletype.org/docs/tk-apps.html -- 6A notes on typekey
usage

there is also tinyOrwell
http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/plugins/plugin/tinyorwell.html

Would anyone else on the list be interested in helping me to solve this
?
I think that there is sufficient in this material to implement it
correctly
I'm looking for guidance before I plunge in over my head
many thanks
Gavin
----
Gavin Bell