[Mediawiki-l] Organizing Unrelated Content On One Wiki Server

Drummonds, Scott B scott.b.drummonds at intel.com
Fri Mar 4 20:48:11 UTC 2005

From: mediawiki-l-bounces at Wikimedia.org
> This isn't what namespaces in MediaWiki do; they are markers of
> functional distinctions, not separate universes. Create
> separate wikis,
> and use interwiki links when you want to link between them.

So I am beginning to understand.  Thank you for helping clarify.

> If TWiki does what you want, why switch? This is a serious
> question, not
> an accusation; I'm curious what your reasons are for wanting
> to migrate to MediaWiki.

I'm not unhappy with TWiki, I just enjoy playing with new things.  I
find the act of learning a new piece of software to be rewarding
personally and professionally and I have the flexibility to choose
whatever software I want for my site.

> You do not actually need to duplicate the directory structure;
> LocalSettings.php could use different databases based on hostname, for
> instance. We run 150 or so Wikipedias from one directory.
>
> To create separate wikis, you must create separate databases
> (or in 1.4+
> a separate set of tables with a different prefix within the
> same database).

That I can do.  I'm not sure if my web host will let me use different
hostnames but, assuming that they do, where can I find some
documentation on configuring LocalSettings.php for multiple databases?
I just scanned the TOCs for all ostensibly relevant sections in the UG
and didn't find anything.

Thanks again,
Scott