[Mediawiki-l] installation problem: ... cannot contact the databaseserver

Terry Lalonde tlalonde at potentiasemi.com
Wed Mar 2 04:02:59 UTC 2005

Sarcastic tone on ->  Thanks for the help!

Since I figured it out...I'll share.

In this case the problem was the fact that I was using
PHP4.x.x and mysql4.1.10.  There is a basic incompatability
between the two in terms of password authentication.
I upgraded to PHP5 and everything worked.  The mysql client
within php4 used an older method of encryption(?). The
capability to use older style sql passwords exists via an
"old_password" function, but that defeats the improved security.