[Mediawiki-l] New Feature?

Scott Bauer sbauer230 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 18:31:07 UTC 2005

We have a requirement to put together a collaborative environment, which
will be populated with content that our viewers might like to print out in
pdf.   The content will be organized into categories, and all the topics
under a category need to be printed in one pdf document.

I've taken a look at media wiki, and I think I see a way to make this
happen.

1.  Use the category feature of mediawiki, to organize all the pages. (we
will have maybe 5 categories).  Currently when you click on a category, you
get a list of all articles in that category.  I would like to add a "Expand
All" button/link, which will expand all the articles in place, into one html
page.

2.  Then it's a simple enough matter to use a htmltopdf converter for the
printing to pdf file.

I am willing to start coding this, but as I have never seen the mediawiki
codebase before, I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers, or potential
traps they see with this approach.  I have read much of the information at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker, and would
be willing to incorporate this feature back into MediaWiki.

thoughts?
sb