[Mediawiki-l] What is creating all these wierd users like "B79eb7"?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Thu Jun 23 20:37:56 UTC 2005

On 23 Jun 2005, at 13:35, Myria wrote:

> I had a similar problem, at one point I had ~250 'real' users and ~250
> 'bot-fakes.

I have had problems with bots on my "stock" sites, but I added an
extra field to the login screen of another site, and haven't had a
single bot there. I hacked MediaWiki on that site to require first
and last names, which are then concatenated into the user name.

:::: In medieval days, a peasant could be executed for stealing a
crust of bread, while the lord of the manor could abuse every peasant
in sight without fear of legal retribution. Does it strike you that
we seem to be reverting more and more to a similar society, one in
which the punishments no longer fit the crimes? -- Ed Foster ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.IslandSeeds.org> ::::