[Mediawiki-l] Re: Login form small visual improvement

Kate keturner at livejournal.com
Mon Jun 20 01:08:58 UTC 2005

Dionysis Zindros wrote in gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki:

> On 6/20/05, Jamie Bliss
> <astronouth7303 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2. Can you move the code to MediaWiki:Monobook.js? (One of my pet
>> peeves is modifying files. The first one you change makes upgrading so
>> much harder.)

> Regarding your suggestion to move the code to monobook.js, this is not
> possible, since there are certain events that should be added to the
> file (onSubmit, onKeyUp, etc).

my (limited) understanding of Javascript is that this could be done entirely
from a script file using the "id" attribute and getElementById().

however, i can't see any reason why this would be beneficial.  the user is
more likely to have modified MediaWiki:Monobook.js than the PHP files,
which are not intended to be changed by the user.

also, putting it in the MediaWiki: namespace will prevent it being picked up
on upgrades.

> Dionysis.

kate.