[Mediawiki-l] Variables in Wikitext & Browser Caching

Wolfe, Jeff Jeff_Wolfe at intuit.com
Mon Jun 13 16:59:01 UTC 2005

I'd like to drill on this a little further.  First, let me point out that we
have disabled the parser cache ($wgEnableParserCache = false;).  I'd like to
generalize and point out that the Mediawiki's wikitext has multiple
codes/tags that can be used to yank external content into the wikitext of an
article.  My original example was for a site variable.  Another good example
is a template.  I compared the behavior of the two inclusion techniques.
When I update a template, all articles that include the template are
rendered with the latest page.  In contrast, when a system variable changes,
the pages are not rendered with the latest content.  Is there anyway to get
the template's caching behavior with the variables?  I really don't want to
turn off browser-side caching in it's entirety as I'm sure it will kill
performance.

Thanks again,
Jeff