[Mediawiki-l] Wiki, IIS and Permissions

Arthur Guy arthur at astarsolutions.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 15:47:48 UTC 2005

IIS uses windows file permissions, Full Permission, Modify, List, Read &
Exec, Read, and Write.
The Wiki Folder has List, Read & Exec and Read selected.
I have tried accessing a page I haven't accessed before and it works fine
except for the error which only occurs when you save a page or preview a
page.
The error is a standard http error code, 405 - Resource not allowed.

The only permissions I have changed are for the Wiki Directory I haven't
touched the database.

Thanks
Arthur Guy

arthur at astarsolutions.co.uk
www.astarsolutions.co.uk

> I have got Media Wiki installed and working on an IIS server, today I
> decided to take a look at the file permissions for the instillation and I
> found that the everyone group had full permission, I removed this and
added
> IIS User giving it read permission; unfortunately the site now doesn't
work
> when you try and edit a page and error is returned.

Well, I have no knowledge of IIS and suchlike, so I may not be much help,
but:
* is there such a thing as an "execute" permission, like there would be on
*nix?
* the page editting shouldn't cause anything to be written to the file
system, only to the MySQL database; the only directory that needs to
be writable is the "images" one, IIRC (some versions try to compile
the skin template on first run and save that somewhere, but I forget
where and recent versions don't bother with this).
* the other way editting would be different from viewing is caches of
various sorts - are you sure the wiki can actually output fresh
content if you by-pass your browser cache etc?

In fact, perhaps the most helpful thing (which people so rarely think
to do) would be to say exactly *what* error is returned, in case
someone on the list knows what it means, or can deduce.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]

'a star solutions' disclaimer
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company.
We believe that this communication is free from viruses and other potentially dangerous programmes, but the recipient opens this communication at their own risk.
We assume no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication