[Mediawiki-l] Printing/typesetting/converting mediawiki documents

MHart wiki at matthart.com
Tue Jun 7 17:44:11 UTC 2005

I wrote some stuff to output MediaWiki as PDF here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=PDF_Export

Basically, I copy index.php to PrintArticle.php with some modifications that
parses the article for {Title} or {Title1 | Title2} where {Title} is the
article(s) to export to PDF, and two titles separated by a | indicates no
page breaking in the exported PDF.

Images are preserved as well as practically all formatting. I use htmldoc
from www.htmldoc.com

So you would create a page titled:  PDF Article For Whatever

{Whatever Article 1}
{Whatever Article 2}
{Short Article 3 | Short 4 | Short 5}
{Whatever 6}

Then an href link to the PrintArticle page:

[http://yoursite.com/PrintArticle.php/PDF_Article_For_Whatever Create PDF
for this article]

Then clicking on the "Create PDF for this article" generates something
like...

Creating: (Whatever Article 1)
etc...

PDF_Article_For_Whatever.pdf

The HTML for those articles is generated by MediaWiki and saved by the
PrintArticle page mods to your server temp folder. I then exec() htmldoc to
generate the PDF, saved in a /printouts folder that you must create w/same
privileges as /images (basically Apache needs to be able to create the file
in that folder).

You can get to it that posting when the meta site is back up.

- MHart
- http://taxalmanac.org