[Mediawiki-l] Yes! Replace talk pages!

Carlton B carltonb at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 4 02:43:02 UTC 2005

I agree with this.   I have more thoughts on the matter than I have time to
write at this exact moment.   The group edit paradigm is good for articles,
but bad for discussion.   In articles, the integrity of the individual's
voice is secondary except to isolate vandalism.   In discussions, the
integrity of the individual's voice is the whole point.

On casual inspection, Wikimedia seems to do OK in preserving the
individual's voice on the talk pages... but that's just casual inspection.
If participants are actively monitoring their own words for edits, they can
enforce the integrity of their own words, but if not, it's open to
misrepresentation.   You can't really know that without inspecting every
diff of the talk page.  That's too much to demand of a user and does not
encourage discussion.   Thus, discussions should be threaded.

If I had infinite time to put into MW, I might try something like mapping
each category to a forum, and each MW article name to a thread title.   If
they chose, users could view MW as a forum skin, seeing only the talk pages
and doing nothing but "talking" if they choose.   This would encourage
non-adversarial discussion, which I think would be a better method of
information discovery than the currently prevalent adversarial mode.