[Mediawiki-l] php.ini session.save_path error

Bill Smith sesquized at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 3 01:57:18 UTC 2005

I had my php.ini session.save_path completely messed up - not pointing to
an existing directory and I think the syntax was also wrong.

I had three symptoms
* If I would log in and return to the previous page, I wouldn't show up as
logged in (This is a documented symptom in the mediawiki.org help)
* If I was logged in and tried to save an edited page, the Wiki would act
as if I'd pressed Preview.  If I wasn't logged in, the edit could be saved.
* If I used the Wiki in IE, many pages would be blank.   View page source
showed nothing between <BODY> and </BODY>.   When I would preview an edit
in IE, it also would have an empty body.

Once I fixed the php.ini setting, everything was happy.

My setup was MediaWiki 1.4.4, Apache 2.0.54, PHP 5.0.4 and MySql 4.1.12.

Is this of enough general interest that I should elaborate on the section
about session.save_path in the mediawiki.org's help?

Bill Smith