[Mediawiki-l] external links open in new window

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 16:04:57 UTC 2005

On 7/29/05, Loplin <loplin at gmail.com> wrote:
> This should probobly be its own topic but,..
>
> I would rather have a tooltip option. It would be neat if a little
> tooltip would popup with the first paragraph or so of the page you are
> linking too. If nothing else, this would be very cool for links to
> wikitionary.
>
> It could use something like [[Def:<word>]] and a link to that
> wikitionary would be created with a tooltip that had a quick
> defenition of it.
>
> It would add quite a server load though.

While I won't argue about how to get the definitions, here's some
things about implementing such a system:

* Adding such a psuedo-namespace would require hacking, since there's
no standard way of adding them.
* A large tooltip would require JavaScript, since the title attribute
is only made for single lines. (Try
<http://javascript.about.com/od/guidesscriptindex/a/tip.htm>.)

-- Jamie