[Mediawiki-l] external links open in new window

Hínandil hinandil at freespirits.org
Fri Jul 29 05:41:09 UTC 2005

> I would rather have a tooltip option. It would be neat if a little
> tooltip would popup with the first paragraph or so of the page you are
> linking too.defenition of it.
>
> It would add quite a server load though.

It would also massively increase the size of every page in the system,
which would cost more in bandwidth and make pages download and render
significantly slowly on the users' systems (that's before we factor in
the delay for the backend).

It would be a very expensive feature in terms of drawbacks and probably
not worth it.  Cool, though?  Definitely.

Hínandil