[Mediawiki-l] Apache Seg Fault when attempting to save any edit

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Jul 24 15:33:42 UTC 2005

Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> Well, I upgraded to 2.0.54 with no joy.  Still get the seg faults.
> Anyone seen any issue with PHP or the like causing these issues?  A
> permissions problem, perhaps?

Segmentation faults are always due to one of:
* Software bugs
* Hardware failure

Since PHP programs cannot access memory directly, segmentation faults
due to software bugs must be problems with:
* The PHP interpreter itself
* some PHP extension or library call
* the web server
* the operating system

Common hardware failures that can cause segmentation faults include:
* Overheating
* Bad memory

Note that PHP recommends that Apache 2 be used in prefork mode rather
than threaded mode, as some PHP extensions may not be thread-safe.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)