[Mediawiki-l] Re: Re: BETA Spellchecker

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:41:17 UTC 2005

"Myria" <myria at wolfandturtle.net> wrote in
message news:000001c58d30$301cd630$6500a8c0 at Lappy...
> .... I presume that server-side spell
> checking does not preclude one from using a client-side spell-checker, so
> I'm really at a loss as to why -- aside from the seemingly inevitable
> naysaying so common to this list -- a server-side spell checker is such a
> bad idea. But then I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain why
> it
> is bad for the internet, violates the Wiki concept, or creates mopery and
> dopery on the spaceways.

The main objection on :en: would be the inevitable arguments as to whether
to use US or UK English.

It **might** be possible to arrange for an option wherein a particular
spelling dictionary could be selected for a given article, but the scope for
spelling-reversion-wars would be immense.

OTOH for those wikis which use a single well-defined mode of spelling, this
might well be very helpful for non-native contributors.

Assuming they pick the correct option obviously: we are awl familiarity with
thee pecuniary problematic of spell-cheque systemic :-)
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]