[Mediawiki-l] Re: BETA Spellchecker

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Jul 20 17:14:38 UTC 2005

Jan Steinman wrote:
> With all due respect to the work you have done, I believe spell
> checking is the domain of the client.
>
> On Safari (MacOS X) at least, client-side interactive spell checking
> works great with MediaWiki. Does it not in other browers/OSs?

Spell-checking in Safari is lovely, and I too am surprised this isn't
fully standard on many other popular browsers yet. However there are
some problems:

* The client's checker will only come with a certain number of spelling
dictionaries by default; some languages will not be present.

* It may be fairly annoying to switch the language selection on the
client, and it may not automatically follow with the declared content
language of the site.

* Of course lots of people don't have the capability in their browsers
to begin with.

So, it could be worthwhile even though a proper, complete implementation
in the client is preferable.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)