[Mediawiki-l] Malicious? edits

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Mon Jul 18 20:33:16 UTC 2005

> From: Jamie Bliss <astronouth7303 at gmail.com>
>
> On 7/18/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The ip address tracks back to sys19.3fn.net and going to www.3fn.net
>> this appears to be a colocated server 3fn.net provides colocation
>> servers to the UK, the US, the Baltics and Russia.
>
> San Jose, CA US? <http://dnsstuff.com/tools/city.ch?ip=64.124.222.176>

There really isn't any way to locate a specific site from an IP. What
you've located is the perp's ISP.

For example, I just discovered that I'm in Seattle! Even though I run
my own primary DNS, and have implemented LOC records (to within about
30 feet) according to the relevant RFC, dnsstuff.com still puts my IP
block 200 miles away.

:::: If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
horrible warning. -- Catherine Aird ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.IslandSeeds.org> ::::