[Mediawiki-l] spam bots

Brian reflection at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 17:27:47 UTC 2005

Your gmail address is fairly flexible. Suppose your address is
foobar at gmail.com

You would receive mail sent to

   - fo.obar at gmail.com
   - f.o.o.b.a.r at gmail.com
   - foobar+flotsom at gmail.com
   - foo.bar+flotsom at gmail.com

So if you sign up at amazon.com <http://amazon.com> with your
foobar at gmail.com e-mail account, you use foobar+amazon at gmail.com. Then you
check the address that your spam was sent to, and if it is from
foobar+amazon at gmail.com (highly unlikely as it is), you can take action from
there, including sending an upset letter, closing your account with them,
and automatically nuking all of the e-mails sent to that address with a
filter.

It's also useful for categorizing mail by address. Want to make sure you
don't miss an important e-mail from a friend? Give them
foobar+jeff at gmail.com, and set up a filter to automatically star messages
sent to that address.

This doesn't work quite as well on mailing lists. Suppose you signed up here
with foobar+wikitech-l at gmail.com. Then, everytime you want to post to the
list you need to go into your settings and change your reply-to address
before and after you send the mail. If you're already typing the message,
you have to open a new window and set it (or save your e-mail as a draft and
navigate away from it).

I might put together a greasemonkey script that makes this functionality
more accessible by adding an extra field before To: that says From:

If you use an external client that supports this functionality, Gmail will
let you send mail from any address via an SMTP server. It's not that it's a
bad feature, just that it's inaccessible (likely intentionally).

/Alterego