[Mediawiki-l] spam bots

Brian reflection at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 20:37:45 UTC 2005

Perhaps if people are obfuscating or not directly giving you their e-mail
address it is because they don't want you to know what it is.
Understandably, if someone doesn't want to talk to you and you want to talk
to them, that can be frustrating. But that's their right.

When I sign up for a commercial website, I use the + gmail operator so that
I know if they sell my address. For instance, if I sign up at
foobar.com<http://foobar.com>,
I would use reflection+foobar at . Then when I start getting spam I know where
it came from. Since this is a mailing list, it's a pain in my rear to change
my displayed address everytime I want to say something to
reflection+wikitech-l@, so I had to use the base address of just reflection.
When you do a google search for my e-mail address, the only results are from
this mailing list. (a couple others are similar, but not mine). That means
that the 2-3 spam messages I get per day on this relatively new address are
from this mailing list.

If you go to mail.wikipedia.org <http://mail.wikipedia.org> and sign in to
wikitech-l, you can access a list of Wikitech-l subscribers. A poor attempt
is made here to obfuscate the addresses, using the 'at'. Most mail clients I
have used automatically recognize this format and as a convenience turn the
at into an @ for you. It is ridiculously easy for a harvester to do this.
Even easier for them is to pluck the thousands of e-mail addresses sitting
plainly in our archives.

I don't want to convince anyone that plainly posting your e-mail address on
the web is a bad idea. I also don't want to convince anyone that receiving
spam is an unpleasant experience. Further, I don't want to explain to anyone
that it is a gross and unnecessary inconvenience to manage two or more
e-mail addresses simply for the purpose of reading a mailing list. The merit
must go over my head in the first place. Aren't I then just going to have to
filter the spam out of the other address? Yes, yes I am.