[Mediawiki-l] External authentication (e.g. siteminder)

Cary Collett cary at ratatosk.org
Thu Jul 14 16:49:56 UTC 2005

Hello!

I'm new to the list, but have been using the mediawiki for a
few months now, and am now interested in trying to introduce
into my workplace.

One of the show stoppers, at least as near as I can tell, is
our use of SiteMinder for user auth. I'm wondering how difficult
it would be to get MediaWiki to play with it.

Protecting the site is easy, obviously. But how to get MW to
use the SM username when attributing edits? And we don't want
to do something crazy like have to load all our company IDs
into the MW user database.

For what it's worth, I'm not too worried about admins. I think
we'd be able to just create 'real' MW accounts which match the
individuals SM usernames. This is just a hunch, so correct me
if I'm wrong.

Cary

--
Cary Collett - cary at ratatosk.org - http://cary.ratatosk.org/

Myth is more individual and expresses life more precisely
than does science. -- C. G. Jung