[Mediawiki-l] Re: I just don't get the apache setup

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 23:09:36 UTC 2005

On 7/13/05, Ira Abramov <lists-MediaWiki-l at ira.abramov.org> wrote:
> Quoting Brion Vibber, from the post of Wed, 13 Jul:
> > Rick DeNatale wrote:
> > ><VirtualHost *>
> > >        ServerAdmin webmaster at mercuryspacecraft.com
> > >        ServerName www.mercuryspacecraft.com
> > >        DocumentRoot /var/www
> > >        AcceptPathInfo on
> > >
> > >        Alias /wiki/stylesheets /var/www/w/stylesheets
> > >        Alias /wiki/style /var/www/w/style
> > >        Alias /wiki/images /var/www/w/images
> > >        Alias /wiki/skins /var/www/w/skins
> > >        Alias /wiki/redirect.php /var/www/w/redirect.php
> > >        Alias /wiki/textvc.php /var/www/w/textvc.php
> > >        Alias /wiki/index.php /var/www/w/index.php
> > >        Alias /wiki /var/www/w
> > >
> > ></VirtualHost>
> >
> > This all seems kind of redundant... take out all the aliases and rename
> > the directory from "w" to "wiki".
>
> Not at all. It's actually a very nice way to "clean" the URL without
> using the slow and problematic rewrite module. note the last Alias
> command that does the trick.
>
> the only drawback is that the wiki pages namespace will have to be under
> /wiki and not directly at the root (breaks the Alias mechanism I
> think, needs to  be figured out)

I'm still not there.  First of all for this scheme to work. the files
physically need to live in DocumentRoot/w rather than
DocumentRoot/wiki  because, as I understand it Alias u p means that
the url u/x should return the file p/x

Am I right in this understanding?

It looks like the Alias and AliasMatch directives are just not being
processed, this is on Debian (Ubuntu 5.04) using Apache2.  I put a
virtual host directive for the hostname in a file in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available directory and used a2ensite to enable it.
 I even put a bad directive in the file temporarily to prove to myself
that it was geing read on startup.