[Mediawiki-l] Re: I just don't get the apache setup

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Jul 13 21:11:32 UTC 2005

Ira Abramov wrote:
> Quoting Brion Vibber, from the post of Wed, 13 Jul:
>>Rick DeNatale wrote:
>>
>>><VirtualHost *>
>>>       ServerAdmin webmaster at mercuryspacecraft.com
>>>       ServerName www.mercuryspacecraft.com
>>>       DocumentRoot /var/www
>>>       AcceptPathInfo on
>>>
>>>       Alias /wiki/stylesheets /var/www/w/stylesheets
>>>       Alias /wiki/style /var/www/w/style
>>>       Alias /wiki/images /var/www/w/images
>>>       Alias /wiki/skins /var/www/w/skins
>>>       Alias /wiki/redirect.php /var/www/w/redirect.php
>>>       Alias /wiki/textvc.php /var/www/w/textvc.php
>>>       Alias /wiki/index.php /var/www/w/index.php
>>>       Alias /wiki /var/www/w
>>>
>>></VirtualHost>
>>
>>This all seems kind of redundant... take out all the aliases and rename
>>the directory from "w" to "wiki".
>

> Not at all. It's actually a very nice way to "clean" the URL without
> using the slow and problematic rewrite module. note the last Alias
> command that does the trick.

I don't see how. It looks like it's exactly the same as putting things
in /var/www/wiki... several individual files are aliased from one
directory to the other, then the whole directory is too.

Are you thinking of a different possible configuration in which a /wiki
directory is aliased to the index.php?

> the only drawback is that the wiki pages namespace will have to be under
> /wiki and not directly at the root (breaks the Alias mechanism I
> think, needs to  be figured out)

With Rick's given configuration, wiki pages are under /wiki/index.php/Title.

Note: you should NEVER put wiki pages directly at the document root
(/Title) as this wipes out your entire URL namespace. In order to have
real files accessible on that host you then have to remove chunks of
title namespace with exceptions, creating holes and potential conflicts.
Don't do it, ever.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)