[Mediawiki-l] Problems upgrading (1.4.5 -> 1.4.6).

Scott Garman sgarman at iname.com
Wed Jul 13 15:47:06 UTC 2005

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could hit me with an
appropriately-sized cluebat when it comes to upgrading mediawiki. I've
reduced this to as simple of a case I can think of, and am running into
the same problem.

Here's what I do:

- Install mediawiki 1.4.5 and get it up and running. I installed it
in /var/www/html/mediawiki/.
- Make a page edit so I can verify that the upgrade worked.

Now, attempt the upgrade:

- Download and extract the 1.4.6 mediawiki tarball into a temporary
location, say ~/tmp.
- Backup my current mediawiki install:
  cp -a /var/www/html/mediawiki /var/www/html/mediawiki.backup
- Move my LocalSettings.php file out of the way:
  mv /var/www/html/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php /var/www/html/
- Copy the 1.4.6 files over the old ones:
  cp -r ~/tmp/mediawiki-1.4.6/* /var/www/html/mediawiki/
- Make the config directory writeable for the web installer:
  chmod 777 /var/www/html/mediawiki/config/
- Go to the wiki address and run the web-based installer again,
answering the exact same questions as I did before, with the exception
of the MySQL root password (which I left blank because this is an
upgrade).

When I confirm this install, I get the following output:

Checking environment...
      * PHP 4.3.9: ok
      * PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
        (index.php/Page_Title)
      * Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
      * PHP's memory_limit is 8M. If this is too low, installation may
        fail! Attempting to raise limit to 20M... ok.
      * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
      * Turck MMCache not installed, can't use object caching functions
      * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
        enabled if you enable uploads.
      * Installation directory: /var/www/html/mediawiki
      * Script URI path: /mediawiki
      * MySQL error 1045: Access denied for user
        'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
      * Trying regular user... ok.
      * Connected to database... 4.1.10a; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
      * Database mediawiki exists
      * There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if
        updates are needed...
        ...linkscc table already exists.
        ...hitcounter table already exists.
        ...querycache table already exists.
        ...objectcache table already exists.
        ...categorylinks table already exists.
        ...logging table already exists.
        ...user_rights table already exists.
        ...have ipb_id field in ipblocks table.
        ...have ipb_expiry field in ipblocks table.
        ...have rc_type field in recentchanges table.
        ...have rc_ip field in recentchanges table.
        ...have rc_id field in recentchanges table.
        ...have rc_patrolled field in recentchanges table.
        ...have user_real_name field in user table.
        ...have user_token field in user table.
        ...have ur_user field in user_rights table.
        ...have log_params field in logging table.
        ...have ss_total_pages field in site_stats table.
        ...already have interwiki table
        ...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
        ...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
        Converting links table to ID-ID...
        Schema already converted
        ...image primary key already set.
        Logging table has correct title encoding.
        Creating covering cur_id index on cur... Query "ALTER TABLE cur ADD KEY `id_title_ns_red` (`cur_id`,`cur_title`,`cur_namespace`,`cur_is_redirect`)" failed with error code "Access denied for user 'mediawiki'@'localhost' to database 'mediawiki'".

I have verified that I can connect to this database using the same MySQL
username and password that I entered into the web installer form.

Here is the output from "describe cur" (I hope the ASCII table display
method that MySQL uses is readable in this e-mail):

+-------------------+---------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field             | Type                | Null | Key | Default | Extra

+-------------------+---------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| cur_id            | int(8) unsigned     |      | PRI | NULL    |
auto_increment |
| cur_namespace     | tinyint(2) unsigned |      | MUL | 0       |

| cur_title         | varchar(255)        |      | MUL |         |

| cur_text          | mediumtext          |      |     |         |

| cur_comment       | tinyblob            |      |     |         |

| cur_user          | int(5) unsigned     |      | MUL | 0       |

| cur_user_text     | varchar(255)        |      | MUL |         |

| cur_timestamp     | varchar(14)         |      | MUL |         |

| cur_restrictions  | tinyblob            |      |     |         |

| cur_counter       | bigint(20) unsigned |      |     | 0       |

| cur_is_redirect   | tinyint(1) unsigned |      |     | 0       |

| cur_minor_edit    | tinyint(1) unsigned |      |     | 0       |

| cur_is_new        | tinyint(1) unsigned |      |     | 0       |

| cur_random        | double unsigned     |      | MUL | 0       |

| cur_touched       | varchar(14)         |      |     |         |

| inverse_timestamp | varchar(14)         |      |     |         |

What is it I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your time,

Scott

--