[Mediawiki-l] multilanguage dictionary setup

edward molasses molasses-one at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 8 19:55:37 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I am trying to setup a dictionary using MediaWiki and I was wondering what the
best way is to go about setting it up as a multiple language dictionary (i.e.
each definition has translations in 4 other languages). I have heard about the
Ultimate Wikitionary which would be perfect, but I have to set something up
temporarily until that has been developed. From what I understand from
Wikimedia MetaWiki pages, the way to do it is to have separate installations
for each language and using inter-Wiki links to make definitions link to their
corresponding translations.

My questions are: am I correct about a multiple install being the recommended
way to setup a multilanguage wiki?

Is it okay to do it using multiple installations on the same server? Or is it
necessary to have a domain name for each installation?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you,
Andrew.