[Mediawiki-l] Re: Refreshing extensions

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jul 6 19:40:34 UTC 2005

Rowan Collins wrote:
> The rendered page, including the part generated by the extension, is
> being cached; MediaWiki is designed for dynamically editting static
> content, and serving it to large numbers of users, so dynamic content
> inside ordinary pages is not really designed to work.

This is fixed in 1.5. I told a few would-be extension writers how to
implement this properly, with a flag in ParserOutput, but apparently
none of them did it. At least, I haven't seen any patches submitted. It
had to wait until I implemented a similar feature myself (special page
inclusion).

As for the identity of this magic member variable, well I'll give you a
clue:

class ParserOutput
{
	var $mText, $mLanguageLinks, $mCategoryLinks, mContainsOldMagic;
	var $mCacheTime; # Timestamp on this article, or -1 for
                         # uncacheable. Used in ParserCache.

-- Tim Starling