[Mediawiki-l] Spam problem with Mediawiki v1.5beta5

Morten Blaabjerg crewscut at mail.dk
Sat Jan 29 18:23:43 UTC 2005

Our wiki has lately been spammed a few times with irrelevant spam links
on the main page - as I've seen it happen sometimes in other wikis.
Fortunately our main page is named something else, otherwise this
spamming would have been harmful to our site, which is still young.
Users are required to register to edit our wiki, so the vandal or robot
in question have registered accounts.

Several problems arose out of these incidents. As it is clearly a
nuisance to delete and revert such vandalism on a daily basis, I would
like to ask what can seriously be done to prevent this kind of thing?
I.e. robots trawling the net and doing this kind of thing?

Secondly, how can I delete/block such registered accounts? - what is the
best method. If I try to block the accounts in question, I get an
in-wiki error message "the username/IP adress was not entered correctly"
or something very similar - to which I can testify it was - correct
spelling of the username etc. I do not know how to get the IP adress of
a user account - how do you do this? How do you block such IP's or
accounts from being created?

The last two days I have simply reverted the edits and deleted the user
accounts via PHPMyAdmin. But clearly this is a little cumbersome, and
I'd prefer to take measures to prevent this from happening, from within
the wiki itself.

Anyone with advice or recommendations?
Kind regards,
Morten :-)