[Mediawiki-l] Making it easier to add

D_C d3ntaku at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:20:30 UTC 2005

I just added a how to for "adding stuff to the wiki" - its 10 steps! I
I'm still looking for the "click here idiot" button...

#  click the "edit this page" link
# in the text box that opens, add the new item you want
# put it between two square brackets like [[this]]
# save your edits
# that will create the page as a red Link
# click on the link
# that opens a new page
# now click "edit this page" again
# and add your comments!
and save!

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:09:00 +0900, D_C <d3ntaku at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >* "Guestbook" is there a way that a familiar "comment" box, or "add
> > >stuff here" box can be added to a page? A little like a very
> > >user-friendly guestbook, or a "comments" box on a blog. Currently
> > >people have to "edit this page" and then users get scared they might
> > >mess up the site.
>
> > does the Talk site (attached to each and every page) do this? look for
> > the tab that says 'talk', near 'edit'.
>
> Not really, as the user has to find "talk" (what is it, like enter a chat room?)
> Then, they have to find another link "edit this page".
> What I would like to see is a big fat empty <TextArea> with a submit
> button - that makes it really obvious where to add your stuff. Two
> obscure links, and then a full up textarea is pretty intimidating (to
> my mum).
> At the very least, if a page is empty, or someone hits "talk" which
> seems obvious they want to add something, why make them search for the
> edit button after? Should just go to a blank page.
>
> While this is probably trivial UI changes compared to the breadth of
> the system, getting useres to contribute is really crucial to wikidom,
> IMHO.
>
> /dc

   David "DC" Collier
mobile business creator |モバイル・ビジネス・クリエーター
    dc at pikkle.com
    http://www.pikkle.com
    +81 (0)90-7414-6107