[Mediawiki-l] Running with safe_mode=on

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Sat Jan 22 05:18:40 UTC 2005

I recently had to turn PHP safe_mode=on for a shared server, and now a user
running MediaWiki is having trouble since his scripts can't write to /tmp.
We upgraded to the latest version of MW, but the problem persists. The error
message implied that I could  set the TMP environment to something else, so
I created  a ~/username/tmp and set his apache TMP environment to that.
Still no go.  Changing ownership of his MW files to root gets the job done
since /tmp is also root-owned, but obviously this is not the right solution.
What is  the proper way to handle safe_mode with MW?

Thanks,
Scot