[Mediawiki-l] Re: Slowness Thread again

N. M. Buzdor mediawiki at buzdor.com
Thu Jan 20 23:59:04 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brion Vibber" <brion at pobox.com>
>>> They are largely for options and global customizations, yes.
>> Well, I may use this as my quick fix, then!
>>> Try also changing the Location: header into 'HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden'
> Just in RawPage.php.

Another thing I did to speed up the wiki through removing user
customizability was to take out the lines that tell the browser to go get
the pages.  In Skin.php I replaced the contents of getHeadScripts() and
getUserStyles() with the lone line
    return'';
then in SkinPHPTal.php I commented out the line
    $this->setupUserCssJs();
and the 5 line block
   if($this->loggedin) {
    $tpl->set( "jsvarurl",
$this->makeUrl('-','action=raw&gen=js&smaxage=0') );
    //[previous line wrapped in email]
   } else {
    $tpl->set( "jsvarurl", $this->makeUrl('-','action=raw&gen=js') );
   }
and then uploaded.  I observed the absence of the offending CSS link tags
and script tags.  While I think that's *all* it did, it's a somewhat
broad-stroke approach.  Let me know if anyone else tries this and fails, or
if there's a flaw in my method that's obvious to a developer or experienced
wiki admin.  I hope my experience helps someone else too!

Thanks again for your help and development,
--N. Buzdor