[Mediawiki-l] Changing links and removing discussion

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 23:47:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:42:26 +0100, Paul van der Vlis
<paul at vandervlis.nl> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to to change the links in "navigation" and "toolbox" and I would
> like to remove the tab "discussion".

Many of the links in the "navigation" sidebar are configurable; I'm
not sure the "toolbox" ones are, since they are more deeply tied to
features of the software.

In 1.3.x, there are interface messages which determine the different
navigation links - e.g. editing the page [[MediaWiki:Currentevents]]
will change the label which normally (in English, that is) says
"Current events"; editting [[MediaWiki:Currentevents-url]] will then
set its destination. Similar messages exist for the other links - take
a look at [[Special:Allmessages]] for help finding them. Setting a
message to a singly hyphen ('-') should remove that link from the
sidebar altogether.

In 1.4.x, I believe an even more flexible system was introduced, where
the whole navigation box is defined by an array called
$wgNavigationLinks in LocalSettings.php (as usual, copy from
includes/DefaultSettings.php as necessary). So you can define your own
[[MediaWiki:Foo]]/[[MediaWiki:Foo-url]] pairings, or remove some
messages completely, or whatever.

As I say, the "toolbox" will require deeper hacking; and as for
removing discussion pages, I seem to remember NSK reporting limited
success in doing this completely - although just removing the link on
each page in whichever skin[s] your site offers would go most of the
way, I guess.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]