[Mediawiki-l] Restricting pages to certain users

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 19:20:20 UTC 2005

One thing that would be a useful feature/patch to help with this is to
allow some way to allow regexes in $wgWhitelistRead instead of
absolute pages (eg, if it starts with "/", assume it's a regex), so
that namespaces, certian pages, etc. can not be accessed by annons.

If an admin wants to implement a more advanced system (eg, for every
group (user, bureaucrat, sysop, developer, and bot) have a seperate
whitelist and blacklist), that can probably be implemented by
expanding sections of code that use the variable $wgWhitelistRead (in
my quick scan, that's User.php lines 638-662 and Title.php lines
835-856, though there may be more). Though implementing such a massive
change will make upgrading a lot of work.