[Mediawiki-l] Restricting pages to certain users

Nancy McGough nm-reverse-spam-filter at ii.deflexion.com
Sun Jan 16 10:29:45 UTC 2005

On 15 Jan 2005 Brion Vibber (brion at pobox.com) wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2005, at 9:30 AM, Tony Linde wrote:
>> On that point, is it possible to allow unregistered users to add
>> comments while restricting *editing* the page/discussion to registered
>> users? If not, is there any other way to allow unregistered users to
>> comment?
>
> Not unless you code it.

I am also interested in doing this type of thing. Here's a
possible alternate solution: Is it possible to have one set of
registered users who can edit pages and another set of registered
users (probably a superset of the previous set) who can add
comments?

Here's a scenario where I'd like to be able to do this. I've been
editing my Procmail Quick Start, which is in my sig, for more
than 10 years. I don't want anyone else editing it. But I do want
to put it in the Infinite Ink wiki and I do want people to
comment on it. And then I'll incorporate the comments myself. I
know this is not following the wiki spirit. I plan to have some
pages that will very much be in the wiki spirit, just not that
particular page.

I think it would be very useful if MediaWiki supported these type
of traditionally edited pages.

Thank you,
Nancy
  planning to convert Infinite Ink to a MediaWiki wiki in 2005

--
Infinite Ink: <http://www.ii.com/>
Procmail Quick Start: <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>