[Mediawiki-l] Differences on redirect pages

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:48:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:36:56 -0500, Jamie Bliss <astronouth7303 at gmail.com> wrote:
> it has to be uppercase.
>
>  #REDIRECT [[foo]]
>
> otherwise, it's a one-item numbered list.

No, that's an urban myth; the check for "#redirect" is case
insensitive. Dori has it right, this is new to v1.4 (currently in late
beta).

While we're on the subject, though, there is something that annoys me
about that feature: because it's been placed as special case code in
the article handling, rather than just added to the "parser",
redirects still show up as numbered lists when you do a preview. This
rather defeats what would otherwise be a big advantage of the feature:
the easy ability to spot if you've typed the redirect in correctly. If
I get round to it, I'll write an alternative implementation where it's
in the parser, where it should have been all along (as soon as a
"don't follow redirect" condition is detected, the page should just be
rendered as it is, with "#redirect" being rendered as the arrow).

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]