[Mediawiki-l] Caching is making me crazy...

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 28 03:59:47 UTC 2005

Sebastien BARRE wrote:
[snip]
> Note that this code is slightly identical to Title::invalidateCache.
[snip]
 > That way, cur_touched is always fresher than the cache,
> and the page always gets re-created. Am I missing something ?

While this might happen to work, it's not really a very good solution;
the technique is very oblique (which would make it hard to maintain),
and it'll produce a lot of unnecessary writes to the database.

If MediaWiki were some proprietary monster application which you
couldn't change, you might have to do it like that, but it's not.
Instead, you should try adding a "don't cache this page" flag to the
parser, which an extension could trigger.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)