[Mediawiki-l] Caching is making me crazy...

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Feb 27 23:09:39 UTC 2005

Philipp Albig wrote:
> That works for all the cache.
> Maybe it's too easy - but how or where is the cache for a article
> cleared, for example after editing? Sorry, I didn't find sth. about that.

When a page is updated directly or indirectly, the timestamp in the
page_touched field (cur_touched on <= 1.4) is updated to the current
time. Cached are checked against this timestamp at load time and
discarded if the page_touched time is newer, forcing a re-rendering.

There is also a per-user timestamp which is updated when you log in, log
out, change preferences, watch/unwatch some page, etc. If the
user_touched timestamp is newer than the HTTP If-Modified-Since header,
the page will be re-output (but the parser cache may still be used).

Additionally, with squid proxy mode on a PURGE request is sent to the
proxy when page_touched is updated. This allows the squids to avoid
hitting the apache servers to do cache validity checks for the majority
of anonymous page view hits.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)