[Mediawiki-l] Problem upgrading from 1.4beta6 to rc1 and MediaWiki:XXX navigation

Doug Fields dfields-mediawiki-200502 at pexicom.com
Sat Feb 26 20:52:58 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I have extensively modified the side navigation bar in our MediaWikis
(of which we have several), using $wgNavigationLinks in
LocalSettings.php. This required me to make several entries like the
following:

$wgNavigationLinks = array (
         array( 'text'=>'mainpage',      'href'=>'mainpage' ),
         array( 'text'=>'recentchanges', 'href'=>'recentchanges-url' ),
         array( 'text'=>'pexipolicies', 'href'=>'pexipolicies-url' ),
);

So, I had created MediaWiki:Pexipolicies and MediaWiki:Pexipolicies-url
pages, which contained (both) Policies, so that when clicking on the
sidebar, it would go to the Policies page (and would show the word
Policies in the side bar).

This worked great in 1.4beta6.

I followed the directions in UPGRADE to upgrade things, and generated a
new LocalSettings.php (which I did not end up using). However, this
seemed to call a routine moveCustomMessages() in
maintenance/archives/moveCustomMessages.inc which moved all my
MediaWiki:Whatever stuff from the side nav bar to a new corresponding
page, Template:Whatever. (It did put redirects in the old pages, but it
did NOT log anything to the change log in the recent changes page.)

Needless to say, this broke my side navigation bar, and I had to go
through each of nearly a dozen nav bar links and change two pages back.

What is the reason for this? Would there be any problem if I simply put
a "return;" at the beginning of that moveCustomMessages() method prior
to upgrading again later? Is there a way I can tell the
wgNavigationLinks to use the Template:XXX instead? I thought the
Template:XXX was for use in {{Templates}}.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Doug