[Mediawiki-l] How to make external links open a new window?

peter.frings at agfa.com peter.frings at agfa.com
Tue Feb 22 08:51:32 UTC 2005

on 2005/02/9 23:11, mediawiki-l-bounces at Wikimedia.org wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2005, at 13:57, NSK wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 18:59, Jan Steinman wrote:
>>> CONFUSED when they click on one word, and are still within the site,
>>
>> You can just avoid linking to external sites. Why do you need external
>> links?
>
> Because they include useful information that people appreciate. Because
> I can't control what users (not the really unsophisticated ones, who
> don't edit) put on their pages. Because the wiki concept is free and
> open.

You could put a list of these links in a section at the end of the page.
Properly label the section and provide some helpful blurb. This should make
it clear that they're on an exit. Encourage other writers to follow the same
conventions.  The wiki concept is indeed free and open, but without some
conventions and self-discipline it will quickly deteriorate into a mess that
will soon be left alone. <play sounds of doom here>

> Before you snort derisively about not knowing how to use a "back"
> button, think of someone you know that can barely use a VCR -- a parent
> or grandparent, perhaps. Shouldn't we try to make the Internet as easy
> as possible for them?

Yes, we should, but a Back button is pretty standard, and many sites and
browser rely on it. Once your granny learns about the back button, she will
be able to re-use it everywhere (and damn those sites that break the back
button). If we all start inventing our own 'go back' implementations, your
granny will become even more confused --- she will not be able to re-use
what she has learned before, and she will become afraid of pushing anything
at all.

>> People who get confused so easily need training.
> This is true, but often not practical. Plus, they're 500km away from me.

Are you the only one that can tell those people how to use a browser?

Cheers,
Peter.