[Mediawiki-l] Caching is making me crazy...

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sat Feb 19 03:02:29 UTC 2005

On 18 Feb 2005, at 13:41, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Jan Steinman wrote:
>> On 18 Feb 2005, at 13:20, Brion Vibber wrote:
>>> Pages should expect to be rendered the same time every time they're
>>> loaded...
>>
>> I think that SEVERELY limits the usefulness of extensions, then!
>>
>> In effect, it makes MediaWiki the equivalent of static HMTL pages --
>> except for the editing part.
>
> Yes, well, that's rather the whole point of the exercise.
>
> If you want to hack it to do something fundamentally different, you're
> going to find yourself fighting the entire code model, including
> several
> distinct caching levels based on it.

Okay. I guess I see your point of view.

Instead of hacking it head-on, how about sideways? How about a
dedicated namespace, like "Dynamic:"? There are already special
behaviors for User:, Template:, Special: (extra special) and perhaps
others I haven't discovered.

There's no Intewiki site called "Dynamic:", but this might break sites
that had created such a namespace. I guess it could be a configurable
name, or be easily turned off completely.

Then I'm assuming it would be a case of subclassing and overriding,
rather than putting in a bunch of nasty "if...else..." spaghetti.

I know how you feel about it in general. But it seems a namespace would
also have less chance of breaking in future MediaWikis.

Thoughts?

:::: On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the
right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles
Babbage
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AT12>