[Mediawiki-l] Re: XHTML generation

Anders Wegge Jakobsen wegge at wegge.dk
Thu Feb 17 20:05:26 UTC 2005

"NSK" == NSK  <nsk2 at wikinerds.org> writes:

> On Thursday 17 February 2005 21:19, Brion Vibber wrote:
>> Thank you for your opinion. It will be dutifully studied, found wanting,
>> and discarded.

> But I'm sure experienced programmers will agree with me.

 Experienced? Check. Programmer? Check. Agree with? Brion.

>> For the people in the audience who are interested in accuracy, note that
>> XML allows attribute values to be quoted either with double quotes or
>> single quotes. Here's the formal lexical definition[1]:

> Yes, it allows that, but not both in the same document.

 I think you should familiarize yourself with [[Backus-Naur_form]]
before further study of the snippet below. Note the | character.

AttValue           ::=          '"' ([^<&"] | Reference)* '"'
                             |  "'" ([^<&'] | Reference)* "'"

>> Since strings in PHP source code are themselves usually either
>> single or double-quoted, instances of the same quote character
>> within the string must be escaped with a backslash to appear as a
>> literal character.

> You can use heredoc syntax.

 Personally I can think of several more worthwhile things to
do.

--
/Wegge <http://wiki.wegge.dk/>
<http://wiki.wegge.dk/Folk_jeg_ignorerer_paa_usenet>