[Mediawiki-l] Help for a new mediawiki installation

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 19:59:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:03:58 +0100, Alessandro Ronchi <aronchi at soasi.com> wrote:
> I have two question I can't solve by myself (I tried to search on google
> and mediawiki pages)
>
> - How can I change the default page from Wikipedia?

I'm not sure what you mean by this - is the string "Wikipedia"
appearing somewhere in the interface? If so, find the appropriate
message(s) using [[Special:Allmessages]], and edit it/them to use
"{{SITENAME}}" instead (or customise them however you like).

If that's not what you mean, you'll have to describe your problem more fully.

> - How can I change the default menu's links?

I'm guessing you're referring to the "sidebar" menu on every page here
- in which case the answer is:
* for MediaWiki 1.3.x, you can change *some* of the links through the
MediaWiki namespace (see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:MediaWiki
namespace), e.g. by editting [[MediaWiki:Currentevents]] and
[[MediaWiki:Currentevents-url]], you can change the text and target,
respectively, of the link normally called (in English) "Current
Events". Use [[Special:Allmessages]] to find these.

* for MediaWiki 1.4.x (in beta), there is an array, something like
$wgNavigationLinks I think, that you can copy from
includes/DefaultSettings.php into your LocalSettings.php, where you
can specify your own pairs of messages (as in [[MediaWiki:foo]],
[[MediaWiki:Foo-url]]).

This should really be in the FAQ, but I'm too in need of a
screen-break to type it up nicely this minute...

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]