[Mediawiki-l] <sort> Tag ?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed Feb 16 19:00:32 UTC 2005

On 16 Feb 2005, at 10:46, Rowan Collins wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:23:03 -0800, Jan Steinman <Jan at bytesmiths.com>
> wrote:
>>> is there something like a <sort>-Tag in Mediawiki?
>>
>> Sounds like a job for an extension. Sounds like a couple hours of work
>> max if you know your way around PHP and Unix.
>
> Still seems like something best done externally and then dumped back
> in the wiki by humans to me...

You're right, of course.

It would be neat if you could easily sort in-place, rather than
copy-paste.

On the Mac, you can do this in ANY editable window with a Service.
(Services -> Format -> Sort Lines Ascending)

(Well, ALMOST any window, Microsoft crap being the notable exception).

That's the BEST way to do it, IMHO. Why send all the stuff to be sorted
across the Internet, just to end up in the same window? But the rest of
the world has yet to catch up with Apple.

-------- Sorted version of above appears below, just for fun: -------

(Well, ALMOST any window, Microsoft crap being the notable exception).

It would be neat if you could easily sort in-place, rather than
copy-paste.

On the Mac, you can do this in ANY editable window with a Service.
(Services -> Format -> Sort Lines Ascending)

That's the BEST way to do it, IMHO. Why send all the stuff to be sorted
across the Internet, just to end up in the same window? But the rest of
the world has yet to catch up with Apple.

You're right, of course.

:::: Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They
never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people,
and neither do we. -- George W. Bush
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Events>