[Mediawiki-l] case insensitive Go-ing?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Feb 16 18:12:12 UTC 2005

Muke Tever wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:57:56 -0500, Tor Kinlok <tor at superman.ws> wrote:
>> So perhaps my original question was mis-worded.  The problem is that I
>> don't want to have to write redirect pages for all of my entries,
>> especially if various users are the ones who are going to be adding
>> them.
>

> You shouldn't have to make a redirect page--if there's _no_ redirect page,
> "go" should send you to the article directly.

Since the fields are not case-insensitive, 'go' can't do a
case-insensitive exact match check. Instead, it checks for several
variants (exact, exact all lowercase, exact all uppercase, etc). On a
multi-word title such as a name where the second word is capitalized,
typing in all lowercase won't get a 'go' match and the search will be
engaged instead.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)