[Mediawiki-l] case insensitive searching?

Tor Kinlok tor at superman.ws
Tue Feb 15 20:28:09 UTC 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 1:37 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Tor Kinlok wrote:
>> Is there a way to just turn off case sensitivity on searches?  The
>> suggested solution seems to be to make redirect pages for all the
>> possible lower-case queries, but that seems way too much work to get
>> around something that I don't even want there in the first place.
>
> There is no way to turn *on* case sensitivity for searches. The full
> text search index is case insensitive.

Then there's something very basic I'm not understanding.  On my site,
and even on Wikipedia, if you search for something using the search box
that can be found on the left of all the pages, the results are case
sensitive.  Yes, it will ignore the case of the first letter in the
query, but with the remaining letters, the case is important.  Is this
something different from the "full text search index"?

For instance, on wikipedia, a search for "Albert Einstein" takes you
directly to his page, but "albert einstein" only works because of a
redirect.  Or at least, that's what used to happen this morning.  On
just checking this, they seem to have (temporarly?) replaced their own
search function with google's.  On my site, try

http://supermanica.info/wiki/index.php/Special:Search?search=wonder-man
versus
http://supermanica.info/wiki/index.php/Special:Search?search=Wonder-Man

The former doesn't return any results, the latter does.