[Mediawiki-l] Re: WikiText Transfer Protocol draft

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 23:50:10 UTC 2005

Thank you for your comments. While I may disagree, I will say that I
may have less expieriance in such things than you (though I can not
say for sure).

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:02:44 +0200, Ira Abramov
<lists-MediaWiki-l at ira.abramov.org> wrote:
> I'm looking at it, and I fail to see the usefulness of yet another
> protocol, that seems less extendabale and requires yet another
> implementation.

It is a draft, and definately _not_ finished yet. Many details need to
be worked out. If you have an idea as to how to correct these issues,
I encourage you to share them.

> what is wrong with:
>
> 1. webDAV. lets you edit and post plaintext documents with directory
> hyrarchy if needed.

After reading through some of the comments about using XML and WebDAV
(the sheer complexity), I felt that a simpler method was needed.

> 2. posting via the regular URL, polling via the RAW interface as you
> mention.

This is what is used for a basic full-page GET and POST. The idea is
to expand this.

> 3. either way, the metadata format you show is non-standard and at first
> look seems a bit easy to break with a bad implementation. XML already
> does such things in a much more standard way.

While it is non-standard, it is extremely simple (not even a full
table parser needs to be implemented, just the basics). It is only
used from the server to the client (since the client should never need
to transmit such data). An XML-like version would require either
another library for the client or a much more complex parser.