[Mediawiki-l] Re: WikiText Transfer Protocol draft

Ira Abramov lists-MediaWiki-l at ira.abramov.org
Fri Feb 11 23:02:44 UTC 2005

Quoting Jamie Bliss, from the post of Fri, 11 Feb:
> I wrote a specification for a fairly simple machine interface based on
> HTTP. It is at <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiText_Transfer_Protocol>.
> It is partially inspired by the "raw" action. I encourage you to look
> at it and add to it.
>
> Any specific comments? I would like to hear some community feedback on this.

I'm looking at it, and I fail to see the usefulness of yet another
protocol, that seems less extendabale and requires yet another
implementation.

what is wrong with:

1. webDAV. lets you edit and post plaintext documents with directory
hyrarchy if needed.

2. posting via the regular URL, polling via the RAW interface as you
mention.

3. either way, the metadata format you show is non-standard and at first
look seems a bit easy to break with a bad implementation. XML already
does such things in a much more standard way.

--
Back from the dead
Ira Abramov