[Mediawiki-l] How to make external links open a new window?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Fri Feb 11 18:42:04 UTC 2005

On 9 Feb 2005, at 00:49, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Jan Steinman wrote:
>> My convention for sites I do is to make links that go off-site open a
>> new window.
>
> I think that's a bad idea, personally. ;) Users really, really hate it
> when you force them to open links in a new window without expecting it.

(Chuckle!) Hoisted by your own petard!

When you edit a page on the wikimedia site and press "Edit help" you
get: TA DA! A NEW WINDOW!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I think the one thing that can be said about
this is that there are exceptions to every rule.

:::: You can't have your SUV and eat it, too!
:::: (It takes TEN calories of fossil-fuel energy to produce EACH
calorie of food.)
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>